Project Goal and Objectives
The IntelliMan project focuses on how a robot can learn efficiently to perform tasks in a targeted, high-performance and safe matter.
To enable next generation robots to efficiently learn how to interact with and manipulate their surroundings in a purposeful and highly performant way, being capable to:
- Perform tasks with limited human supervision.
- Autonomously interact with objects regardless of their material, size and shape.
- Deal with environments that neither it, nor its designers have foreseen or encountered before.
- Platform-independent transfer of knowledge between different systems and domain.
As an additional goal, user perception of such AI-powered robotic manipulation systems and factors enhancing human acceptability are investigated.
Development of next-generation robotic manipulation systems, empowered by artificial intelligence that:
- Learn individual manipulation skills from human demonstration.
- Learn abstract descriptions of manipulation tasks suitable for high-level planning.
- Discover functionalities of objects by interaction.
- Guarantee performance and safety via automated, adaptive fault detection and user acceptability.
Use cases as demonstration objectives
The development of various solutions for the interactive object manipulation problem in complex environments is supported by a comprehensive set of application scenarios. These use cases will demonstrate the effectiveness of the technologies developed:
Daily-life kitchen activities
Robot-based assembling of products
Robotic fresh food handling for logistic applications
Outcomes and expected impact
The project has a wide variety of specialized deployment scenarios of manipulation robots in unstructured environments that neither it nor its designers have foreseen or encountered before. The potential for autonomous manipulation application with robots capable to manipulate their environment is vast: hospitals, elder- and child-care, factories, outer space, restaurants, service industries, home environment.
The expected outcomes can be summarized in:
- Broader adoption of AI-oriented methods in robotic manipulation and human-machine interaction for increased portability, affordability, reliability and safety.
- Penetration in industry through safe, fast and easily adaptable AI-powered manipulation systems.
- Increased acceptance of robots by the general population.
- Improved acceptability and reliability of AI-enhanced prosthesis and service robots.
- Rising awareness about benefits of AI-oriented manipulation methods.
IntelliMan Pert Chart